Saturday, September 20, 2008

World Alzheimers Day, September 21st

The Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative: Raising Awareness & Funding Research

I have been ask by my friend Kathy to help spread the word of the dreaded disease called Alzheimers. My mother has it and has had for 10 years. She takes medication called Aricept. This helps slow the progress of the disease in some cases.
September 21st is World Alzheimers Day. Get a virtual patch for your loved one with Alzheimers here.
Let's honor those who are trying so hard to exist without the parts of their memory that help them survive in the world. My mother knows her children and her grandchildren on a good day. She does not know the town she lives in or how to cook or quilt, which are two things she use to love to do. She recently ask me to write down some things about my dad so that she could read about him. She forgets all the little things that help us survive day to day, and she also forgets that she has not done them. She writes herself notes for everything and mean EVERYTHING. If it weren't for that she (and my sister and I) would be totally lost. She exists on peanut butter sandwiches and milk. We try to get her to eat at least one meal a day with vegetables and fruit, but some days it is impossible. The doctor says that a day will come when she will forget to eat. Say a prayer for all those who are trying to exist in this condition and visit the Alzheimers Art Quilt Initiaitive website to learn more. A special thank you to Ami Simms for
working hard to support Alzheimers research thru quilts.

2 comments:

Monica at Buttoncounter said...

Molly,
I can't imagine how hard it must be to experience the loss of memories. Especially when they are so dear. But I must tell you that when I pray for your mother, I will also pray for you and your sister. It is probably just as hard on you two also. You aren't forgotten by me.
Take care of yourselves.
Monica

Cathie said...

Oh Molly. I don't know what to say about this. I'm so very sad for you, your sister and your momma. Love eachother and enjoy the moments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thanks for stopping by--Please Come Again!

background