Sunday, February 4, 2018

Oh Holy Night quilt is Finally a REAL Finish (Plus a BOM)

In my previous post I had finished my first finish for the year 2018, all except hand stitching the wrap around binding down.  It is now completely finished and I could not be more excited.  For the past few years I have been helping my husband, referred to here, affectionately, as Pops because that is what our grandchildren call him fight cancer.  He is in remission now, but still has to go to Dallas every two weeks for an infusion of Cetuximab as a maintenance.  He is not eligible for a maintenance pill that is available because our insurance won't pay for it. Medicare will pay for it but Pops will not be eligible for Medicare for 2 more years.  I am thankful that he is cancer free and able to work around the ranch.  He doesn't really ever stop during the day.  It's really amazing and I give My LORD all the credit for it.  His blessings are abundant and awesome around here!
If your interested in the previous post on Mock Hand Quilting, click HERE.


A friend gave me this pattern after she had made the quilt.  It is so precious and the message such a joyful one to me that I decided to make it.  I decided to make it as a Block of the Month.  To give myself some slack and a challenge of making one block per month so that I give myself some time to enjoy each block and also possibly another project too.


It has all the elements of a quilt that I love.  Pieced background, applique, and embroidery.  I still have not decided whether the embroidery will be hand or machine.  Right now I am thinking hand so I will have some handwork to do while I watch TV with Pops in the evening.  My first block is ready to start the embroidery.  I always struggle with fabric choices, trying several and more to make sure the best is chosen.

                                              
This is the second block (my February block), straight from the pattern book.  A precious angel block.  God sends these special creatures to take care of us.  Although we have no idea what they look like, I like to imagine.  I'm sure that spirit-beings are invisible unless they need to be seen, in which case they look like you and me.  Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?  Hebrews 1:14
"Do  not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it."  Hebrews 13:2  
"Beware that you don't look down on any of these little ones.  For I tell you that in heaven their angels are always in the presence of my Heavenly Father."  Matthew 18:10
"For He will command His angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways." Psalms 9:11
 This is my method for auditioning fabrics.  I fold them in shapes similar to the size of the cut piece and place them in a similar fashion as the block will be, being careful to hide most of the fabrics that will only include a small piece.  This way no fabric is overwhelming.

 This is the block with my fabric choices.  I did change one or two from the originals of the previous pic, the wings and the hearts.
I decided I didn't like my angels hair choice.  It seemed harsh to me so I tried this one.  It seemed a little light, but am thinking after the embroidery is done it might be best.  Each piece will be outlined with a black blanket stitch.  What do you think?  Which would be your choice?  Or possibly a fabric in between the two.  I'M TAKING VOTES.  PLEASE COMMENT WITH YOUR CHOICE, BLOCK 1 (darker) OR 2 (lighter)or somewhere in between will be 3.  I will send a couple of fat quarters to the winner.  The winner will be chosen by a drawing of names of the commenters.

Have a blessed week!

Molly

2 comments:

EL RINCON DE CHELO said...

Unos trabajos preciosos!!!!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I won all the Be Attitudes blocks, already pieced and fused, and am working on hand stitching them down. I chose to match the pieces with matching threads. I'm liking how it is looking. I started with the Dec block and am working my way up to Jan (backwards, I know). I'm on the 6th block now, and have it packed to take with me to Alaska for 2 weeks (we'll see how much I get done).
http://cherylsteapots2quilting.blogspot.com/2016/08/4th-be-attitudes-block-finished.html
That link shows one of my stitched blocks. I'll add the buttons after it is quilted.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thanks for stopping by--Please Come Again!

background