Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Iris Bed


Years ago, my mother in law told me a story about a circular Iris flower bed in the back yard of the old homestead that has been in the family for over 100 years. My husbands grandmother had wanted a bed and one of her five sons had made one for her. He lined the bed with petrofied wood. The wood stones had almost sunk completely into the ground when she was telling me the story. This son was killed in the 1930's in a shooting accident (?). The bed was more precious to his mother in later years.

I decided that I would redo the bed. I dug out all the rock and fixed them back the way they were originally and cleaned out all the weeds. The Iris never bloomed.

Last year when I cleaned the bed, I transfered some of the bulbs into my yard. I guess thinning them out was just what they needed as both beds are blooming this year. The rain and wind last night did a number on them so I am glad I took the picture yesterday. I thought you would enjoy seeing the flowers and hearing the story behind them. Later--

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Molly, how beautiful!!! You are so blessed to have such wonderful family history and to know about it! LOL!

Joan J said...

What a wonderful family story. My iris are just thinking about blooming and I can't wait to see them. Your photo reminded me of what's yet to come!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thanks for stopping by--Please Come Again!

background